FROM TOWNSHIP TO HARVARD: PERSEVERANCE PAYS OFF FOR CRAWFORD STUDENT



Despite the odds, a young South African made his dreams reality after being accepted to Harvard - one of the top universities in the world – on a full scholarship.
Mfundo Radebe, who is currently visiting Kenya to visit his alma mater’s new school – Crawford Kenya International College in Tatu City - was raised by his single mother in the township of Umlazi, South Africa and faced great hardship in his younger years.
On his inspirational journey, he refused to let his personal circumstances block his path. He worked hard at school, came top of his class and then began writing scores of letters to the ADvTECH Schools Division board letting them know that he was unable to afford a private school education, but desperately wanted a place at Crawford College La Lucia.
In 2016, he graduated from Crawford after having become the first ever recipient of a full scholarship from the school, which is part of the JSE-listed ADvTECH Group, Africa’s largest private education provider. Every year, Ivy League universities visit Crawford schools to scout for the brightest and most promising young learners, which saw Radebe being offered the opportunity of a lifetime.
“I realised how fortunate I was as a young man from Umlazi to have been given all of these resources from my school Crawford. Without these resources, I would have never finished with eight distinctions. I might not have been a Harvard student today. I recognise that where I am today is through hard work, yes, but it is also about opportunity and persistence. That is why I think that every child should be given an education focused on academic excellence so that they can be the best that they can be and realise their full potential. This is what we owe every single child.”
On top of his challenging studies, dealing with a healthy dose of culture shock and making the world a better place, Radebe also continues his habit of raking in the awards.
While still at school, he became a national debating champion with a strong interest in politics. He spoke at the National Mandela Day Gala and was also invited to become the first ever national young social cohesion advocate. He also won the international My Magna Carta – a creative essay competition in which young people are invited to create their own Magna Carta for the 21st century, a document that safeguards and promotes the rights, privileges and liberties of their country. Mfundo was named the international grand champion at the finals in London.
Recently, he was the recipient of a Civil Society/Social Cohesion Award at the SA National Youth Awards.
He says Crawford’s emphasis on academic excellence was integral in his success, in that it placed an emphasis on focusing on each individual child’s progress and not collectivising them.
“This allowed me to constantly work with my teachers so that I could become the best that I could become. But even more so, I was able to constantly challenge the beliefs I held. The emphasis on diversity and inclusivity that not many schools in South Africa has, allowed me to grow as a debater and a public speaker. It allowed me to envision a fairer world and ultimately empowered me to follow the road I now travel.”
In a few years from now, the future Harvard graduate whose peers already call him Mr President, aims to return to his home country to effect even greater change, by entering South African politics.
“I am not sure in what role, but I feel that my deep desire to create an equitable and fair country where all children are given access to the resources they need can only come about when I step into the political arena,” he says.
And his message will be one of perseverance, of never giving up.
“The reality is that many children are not given the chance to be the best that they can be. I am today, however, because I constantly pushed myself and because I refused to give up to the status quo.”
Crawford Kenya International School, set to open in September 2018, is the brainchild of Johannesburg Stock Exchange-listed ADvTECH, Africa’s largest private education provider which recently acquired the Makini group of schools, and will usher in a new era of excellence in education and choice for Kenyan parents seeking the best possible foundation for their children.
CrawfordSchools™ in South Africa already boasts a reputation of being arguably the best private school in the country, with unparrelled excellence, particularly on the academic and leadership front, ensuring the holistic development of each student.
With a capacity for 1700 students, Crawford Kenya will teach the UK/Cambridge Curriculum in modern, trendy facilities. The school design – which has been nominated as an entrant to compete in the World Architectural Festival and LEAF awards to take place in Europe later this year – incorporates 21st Century classrooms, and includes a multifunctional indoor sports centre, a swimming pool, outdoor sports fields and tennis and basketball courts. Additionally, it will also provide high school boarding facilities.

Comments